Being able to cook a nutritious meal as an adult is an essential life skill. One In A Million Free School is committed to supporting students in gaining these necessary culinary skills so that when they leave us they are equipped to adopt a healthy lifestyle and cook meals from scratch without relying on preprepared and takeaway foods.
We see the benefits to being able to cook as:
- Empowering people to live healthy lifestyles – understanding the value of nutrition and health.
- Equipping students to cook well within their financial means.
- Empowering student to understand and use a range of cooking techniques.
- Appreciate the need for good health and hygiene practices.
- Preparing some students for work within the hospitality and catering industry.
All students in Year 7, 8 and 9 have the opportunity to follow this course and develop their culinary skills. Parents/carers will be required to provide their children with ingredients and an apron to fulfil the course.
In Year 10 and 11, students who are passionate about this subject can continue their studies by selecting the subject as one of their GCSE options.
The WJEC Level 1/2 Award in Hospitality and Catering has been designed to support learners in schools and colleges who want to learn about this vocational sector and the potential it can offer them for their careers or further study. It is most suitable as a foundation for further study, providing learners with a core depth of knowledge and a range of specialist and general skills that will support their progression to further learning and employment.