We believe that students should understand the progress they are making and they should talk to their parents about it. With that in mind we set up a termly ‘Learning Conference’.
Prior to the Learning Conference students prepare a powerpoint presentation that addresses:
- How I have lived out the OIAM values
- My progress in each subject
- My attendance
- My involvement in the enrichment programmes
- My attitude to learning
Students then present to their parents and a discussion follows afterwards.
Parents really value this not just because they can see their child learning the skills of presentation but because each term they are able to get an update about their child’s progress.
This is one of the strengths of One In A Million Free School not least because it allows us to have regular dialogue with our parents.
At our Learning Conferences there is an opportunity for parents to reflect on our school and to offer feedback via OFSTED’s ‘Parent view’.
We would encourage you to look at how parents view us. It should be noted that in some schools the response from parents to this is very poor but One In A Million Free School is in the top 5 of highest responses in the whole of the country.
- My child is happy at this school: 97% (3% – ‘Don’t Know’!)
- My child feels safe at this school: 95%
- The school deals effectively with bullying: 95%
- Would you recommend this school to another parent: 97% would!